For the past few years we have made Monkey Bread for a morning meal. This year’s was particularly good! (not burned at all)
A few simple ingredients required: Pillsbury Grands,sugar,brown sugar,cinnamon,and butter. This year we used a product that was Splenda mixed with brown sugar and Slenda. It was great.
How to make Campfire Monkey Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar (Splenda)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (Splenda/brown sugar mix product)
- 3 tbsp. ground cinnamon – *you can use more or less, depending on taste
- 1 stick butter, or 8 tbsp. margarine
- 2 tubes Pillsbury Grands/Biscuits
Camping cookware and disposables:
- 1 Dutch oven
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil or Aluminum foil dutch oven liners
- sauce pan to melt butter
- Mix the sugars and ground cinnamon in a paper or plastic bag, (paper works best), shake to mix well.
- Cut Grands/biscuits into quarters.
- Shake pieces in the bag to coat.
- The dough pieces are now officially Monkey Bread , toss them into the Dutch oven, or arrange them neatly, it doesn’t really matter.Important: Make sure the Dutch oven is pre-heated.
- When all biscuit pieces are in, pour the melted butter over the entire batch – cover and cook.
- This easy camping recipes for kids (and adults) will take about 30-35 minutes at about 350`, which equates to 10-12 briquet-sized hot coals under the oven, and about 12-14 on top
- After about 15 minutes, rotate the Dutch oven about 90` and replenish the coals on the top and bottom.
- At about 25-30 minutes, check the bread, it should be done. You will be able to tell because it will be puffy and slightly browned. If not, bake another 5 or 10 minutes.